Sunday, May 26, 2019

Final Day in Ireland - From the perspective of a SMWC Madrigal

Saying goodbye to Driver/Guide, Tom at airport hotel.
It's been an emotional last day over here for us in Ireland. Here's a reflection written by Kristin Foster, a music therapy student heading to her music therapy internship in July, whose last performance with Madrigals was today.


Original Church at Knock where apparition appeared.
(Photo: Sara Langenberger)

Today is the reason that days like yesterday can happen...

Today was the last full day together on the ground in Ireland. Although we have spent many wonderful, full, busy, and emotion packed days together, today was by far the most emotional, and arguably one of the best, days of the entire trip.


Close up of the floor mosaic. 
There were many birds throughout, all different. 
(Photo: Michael Boswell)
We started our morning with mass at Knock Basilica. Being able to participate in the mass by providing music during the service was spiritual and intimate. In comparison to the night before, it was very, very different. Before singing, we were immersed in the 140 year history at Knock and the story of the Apparition of Mary (Our Lady of Knock). In addition, we have been fully submerged in the welcoming and tender arms of the Irish people, who we wholly embrace in spirit and community... it was a recipe for a lovely and moving mass. Singing about the Virgin Mary has become quite a special tradition to the Madrigals. With our connection to the Sisters of Providence, Saint Mother Theodore, Our Lady of Providence, and our Catholic roots as an institution, all of our songs about Mary fit right into the mass. It was truly a culmination of all things "Mary" for me as a Madrigal. Being able to sing for the people of Ireland and pilgrims from all around the world, who are flocking to see this sacred sight of an apparition of Mary, was truly humbling, special, and moving in a deep spiritual way. All of the "providential connections" (including the connection with one of the Priests and the Sisters of Providence and Saint Mother Theodore Guerin) made me, as a singer and Woodsie, reflect on my roots and my lineage...all of which I experience through the lens of being a musician and a Madrigal. It was truly incredible to share the music that we did with the people who were there in such a holy and special place!
Entering Church of the Sacred Heart, Roscommon
(Photo: Michael Boswell)
As if to say, "well if you enjoyed that, then try this!!!", God's Providence raised the bar for intimate music-making by leading us to the Church of the Sacred Heart in Roscommon. After the mass, we departed with the intent of traveling to this church for some special music-making "just for us." Our director, Michael Boswell, has envisioned us in this space for a long time now (since before the first trip to Ireland in 2018), so we have been itching to visit this space for a while. And thanks to Providence for that, because the church itself impressed us beyond what we could have ever imagined. We had this sacred space almost completely to ourselves, and felt right at home upon entry. The first thing that caught my eye were the birds on the floor in the mosaic. Birds aside, the structure, pillars, and acoustics reminded us very much of our home turf, the Church of the Immaculate Conception in our beloved Saint Mary-of-the-Woods back home.

Because we had limited time, we chose to sing two pieces for ourselves. Inspired by the birds, we chose to sing the ever favorite "Be Like the Bird" by Abbie Betinis. Once we began singing, and each of us began to realize this was the last time we would be making music together on this trip and with this current ensemble, it got very emotional rather quickly. Nonetheless, it was filling to the heart and soul because of who was singing and the intent with which we were singing; to enjoy making music together with true family. It was incredibly touching to reflect on the words of the piece, especially for those of us who are leaving this ensemble and going on to the next phase of life. I know that I will personally carry these words with me as I leave this ensemble, and I know they will comfort me in times of challenge and struggle:

"Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and sing and sings, knowing she hath wings." - Victor Hugo

One last time. #SmallChoirBigHeart
For a final song, we decided on "Rise My Soul," which has become a personal anthem for me, as I know it has for the other singers. This song, for me, has become a powerful symbol for life and heaven, and how we must sometimes leave the good to experience something even better, even if it is not yet in view over the horizon. This song also tends to provoke beautiful imagery of our travels here in Ireland, including the landscape, the people of Ireland, and the love we feel for one another as a tightly knit ensemble... as I mentioned earlier, a family. As soon as we began singing, I knew it would not be the best executed technical performance we've ever had... but I knew it would be full of heart, soul, and love shared between each of us. We literally carried one another through the song... as some of us couldn't sing clearly due to voices cracking and tears streaming down our faces. We held hands and stood close together, enjoying the feeling of the "magic arch" one last time. I will admit it was difficult to sing, but somehow, I found the strength to share my voice with my sisters. It was a once-in-a-lifetime musical experience. We were not concerned with blend, and sometimes even right notes... we were truly enjoying the beautiful thing that is making music with the people you truly love. We can make very beautiful and technically superior music any day (look at our international award!), but this was very different, yet again, from the other musical experiences we have shared in the last 10 days, and even in the last academic year. But, at the same time, it was the same as it has always been for me... a touching and beautiful opportunity to make music with my family. And I truly believe those moments of "Rise My Soul" will stand still in time in my mind as I reflect back on my musical memories with this ensemble.

Altar of Church of the Sacred Heart, Roscommon
(Photo: Sara Langenberger)
We of course ended with the "Ring Song", like all Madrigals know and love to do... Like the others, it was a euphoric experience of "oneness" with each other in a musical moment. And now, as I reflect back on today, even though I knew this would be the last time we would sing together as this current ensemble, I know in my heart this will not be the last time we will sing together. I hope and pray that we will make music together again in the future throughout our lives and opportunities like Homecoming. I also know and cherish the fact that I carry each of these women, and all of the other women I have ever sung with as a member of Madrigals, and of course Michael our director, in my heart every time I sing. The connections and music I have had the privilege of taking part in have helped to make my experience as a Madrigal beautiful and life changing. This trip, and this day in particular, was a perfect end to this chapter in the journey... and we still have promises and miles to go.

Present Knock Basilica (Photo: Justine Gibson)

Inside Knock Basilica, Altar and large glass mosaic of apparition. (Photo: Sara Langenberger)


Church of the Sacred Heart in Roscommon (Photo: Sara Langenberger)

Blog Post Author: Kristin Foster, member of 2019 SMWC Madrigals

Blog Editor: Sharon R. Boyle, Associate Professor of Undergraduate Music Therapy

For more information about the SMWC music and theatre programs, please visit our website!

No comments:

Post a Comment